Why Is Jack Martin The Best Campus Accommodation?
Of course I am going to be biased, but I honestly think that Jack Martin is the best accommodation on Warwick campus – so once your place at Warwick is confirmed for 2016/17 and you need to select your top 5 accommodations, definitely consider Jack Martin! Jack Martin was my 1st choice out of my 5 selections and luckily I got it. However, things like your budget and personal circumstances will play an effect on what accommodation you ideally want, but hopefully this blog post will inform you anyways.
I will list the top reasons on why I think Jack Martin is the best:
1. It is the cheapest en suite accommodation on campus (annually).
2. You have your rent from the start of 1st term until the end of 3rd term, apart from the Easter Holidays. If you are coming to Warwick University from abroad, this may be a problem for you as you will have to move everything out of your room for the Easter break (roughly 5 weeks long) or store it in some form of storage. However, I had a flatmate from France and he seemed to manage it just fine!
3. Moving everything out of your room for Easter is not as bad as it seems. I move out pretty much all of my clothes, shoes, toiletries etc for the holidays anyways, so the only things that I would normally leave behind are my kitchen things, my printer and other random things. Those things you can store in a locked cupboard above your wardrobe, so you don’t have to take them home. Therefore, moving out in Easter is the same as moving out in Christmas! The only hassle is having to pack up your kitchen things and needing to eat all of your freezer food in time, but I didn’t mind that.
4. Your bathroom gets cleaned once a week and your kitchen gets cleaned twice a week.
5. If you’re lucky enough to get the block Jack Martin 3 (like me), you’ll be happy to know that that block has been recently refurbished so it’s extra fancy and cool.
6. You get a bath in your en suite! Along with a shower head and a big storage cupboard for towels and toiletries.
7. The mattresses are super comfy – which isn’t just my opinion, I’ve had friends stay over from other universities and they have also told me that my bed is so comfy.
8. Jack Martin is on central campus which is so convenient, trust me. I could walk to the Rootes Grocery Store in 30 seconds – 1 minute, I could walk to my lectures in under 5 minutes, I could walk to Tesco in under 10 minutes. I really felt bad for those who lived at Westwood, Heronbank, Lakeside etc because they would always complain about having to leave earlier to make it in time for lectures. Especially when you have a 1 hour gap in between lectures – if you live at Jack Martin, you can happily come back to your room and eat/chill/do work. Whereas those who lived at Westwood etc had to buy lunch somewhere on campus or find somewhere to chill/work because it wasn’t worth walking back to their rooms.
9. Jack Martin is directly next to Health Centre Road, which is where the taxi rank is. This is a true blessing for nights out when you need to get a cab to your desired club, because when it’s cold at night and you’re feeling a bit crazy in the head (if you know what I mean) you can easily get to the taxi rank in 10 seconds.
10. The bedroom storage is great overall, you get a double wardrobe, a chest of drawers, a bedside chest of drawers, a huge desk, a chair and two long shelves. I have a lot of clothes and shoes and even I had TOO much storage?! You can also fit a suitcase under your bed which is handy.
11. You are provided with a duvet and duvet cover, two pillows and pillow covers and a bed sheet – so you don’t need to buy any bedding. I however bought my own bed sheet, duvet cover and pillow covers to make my room more personal.
12. The kitchens provide storage for 11 people. However, our flat had 12 people and I was the person who didn’t have storage – if that is the case, don’t worry! There was a top cupboard left for me and I shared a cutlery draw with another flatmate. For my bottom cupboard (which there weren’t any left) I used the cupboard under the sink, which is essentially double the size of a normal bottom cupboard. So I would recommend that you grab the sink cupboard if no one else is using it!
13. There is a Jack Martin laundrette which is in between Jack Martin 3 and 4, therefore opposite Jack Martin 1 and 2.
Those are my main reasons – if anyone has any further questions about Jack Martin, feel free to comment below. Of course all of the campus accommodations are great and you will love your accommodation regardless of what you get. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with any! Although, I personally believe that Jack Martin is the best and I am so happy that I spent my first year there.