Welcome to Warwick! Now what?
If you are reading this you probably have a place confirmed for Warwick. CONGRATULATIONS. You worked so incredibly hard for this moment and you deserve it so much. Warwick if I may say so, is an awesome university. You have done well!
I remember my results day rather vividly. I woke up from the little sleep I had, then headed to my newsagent to buy a newspaper to read any relevant university-related news stories (The Telegraph is a good shout as it has a list of universities available via clearing). During the bus ride, I made a simple note of universities I may be interested in if my results didn’t go so well… Then to my surprise, I found I exceeded my firm choice’s offer and then decided to use adjustment, and that’s how I found myself choosing Warwick! Anyway, enough about me as this day is special for you!
Once the excitement settles in, you will probably be thinking about what you need to do now. I have made a simple checklist of things you may want to look into if you haven’t already.
In no particular order:
– Accommodation – Warwick, guarantees campus accommodation to students with a confirmed offer by 23rd August. If you haven’t already, make sure you apply! Campus accommodation is by far one of the best ways to adjust to university life and make lots of friends. Don’t dwell too much on your preferences as you will find make yourself home wherever you live for the year. Bias me, however, does suggest Rootes. Rootes is the best.
– Setting up your IT account – This includes things like your student email address and sending Warwick your passport-style photo so that your student card is ready to collect upon your arrival.
– Applying for student finance – If you are eligible for student finance and are hoping to apply, do this ASAP to ensure that you receive your money in time! If you didn’t enter your Warwick course details on student finance before results day (or if they have changed), make sure you make any changes necessary to your application too.
– Sorting out your budget – I will write more about this later, but make sure you have a budget in mind, along with creating your student bank account if you haven’t yet.
– Applying for your visa – If needed, this process can take a while. Make sure you have your visa confirmed along with a way to get to the university!
– Joining relevant Facebook groups/liking pages – If you aren’t already a regular Facebook user, you will find yourself becoming one at university. Societies post details of their events via Facebook, and your friends may make Facebook group chats as an easier form of communication. Additionally, there are Warwick 2018 Facebook pages you can join, along with accommodation specific ones.
– Looking into any Freshers week events – Some events require advance booking. If you don’t want to miss out, get booking now!! (Again though, don’t worry too much as a lot of people decide to wait until they know what their new friends/flatmates will be going to).
– Go shopping!!! – Things like you bedding and basic kitchen utensils you will want to buy in advance. Anything else can probably wait until you get to university and see what you need, so don’t go too overboard!
AND HAVE FUN! Enjoy your last month or so of summer before university begins, you are in for a treat!!!
Shanita 🙂 xo