Student Stereotypes- Which One Are You?
University exposes you to all kinds of wonderful variations of student. But as a prospectus student its hard to know what stereotypes to believe.
Here is a list of Student Stereotypes that I’ve put together to give an insight into the realities of student life.
– coffee shops on campus are always (funnily enough) buzzing. This type of student is the one you can’t picture without a take away coffee cup in their hand. I’ve often wondered how these people sleep at night. You can tell when the deadlines taking it’s toll on a person/ it’s victim when their desk is scattered with energy drinks. Warning: a caffeine addiction can be an expensive affair, so if you feel you may be vulnerable- by a flask in advance!
we’ve all been there. Where we have underestimated the time it would take to tweak a few words and write a bibliography, and ultimately stayed up all night fixing it. But it’s when you do it EVERY TIME that you become the ‘last minute student’. This is probably quite a stress free student life 80% of the time, the other 20% however is pure hell. Usually worst around the time the mammoth end of term deadline rears its ugly head. You find this breed of student hunched in a corner of the silent floor in the library, surrounded by energy drinks (maybe a caffeine addict too?) giving off vibes of intense anxiety.
– sometimes the stories are awesome, sometimes they’re obviously made up… But they’re usually the ones with stories full of life lessons. I think a little part of me will always wish I had a gap year. Having said that, it never appealed to me at all before University, but there really are so few times in your life that travel is so easy!
– AKA not me. I am more of a chatting-in-a-coffee-shop kind of gal. But probably the biggest student stereotype is the party animal. The one who will drink til dawn, loves all kinds of events, whether they’re clubs, pubs or student run events. There is no denying that being the party animal will lead to super memories, and so will befriending one!
yep, that’s me. Along with the majority of students! I will highlight there is a difference between forgetting your keys (such as I) and then forgetting deadlines (totally not me, even the idea terrifies me).
. Granted, the ability to take naps has been perfected by myself over the last 2 years. I find a 20 minute nap is just enough to recharge my batteries, but not long enough to make me shattered. However, I am not a sleeper. A sleeper is the student that uses the desk in lectures to catch some z’s and usually the one who openly states that they can’t do something because they ‘need a nap’. University is tiring stuff. But this type of student is a total pain in the butt to do a group project with!
the one who comes in late and announces it to the flat, or chatters away mid lecture or even worse- blares their music in Halls of Residence. Tip: usually it just takes a knock on the door and they’ll turn the music down, or a sharp ‘shh’ in the hallway at 3 am. Writing this, I am aware of how boring I sound!
lies in, leaves washing up for a week, takes all washing home, plays their music too loud and occasionally forgets their notes for University. This is the majority of people.
Type Number 2: the forgetful one: I lose thing continually and forget things a lot. But luckily, not the most important things (so far!)
Type Number 3: the caffeine addict: ONLY around exams. But boy does it get bad.
Type Number 8: the typical student: does it count if I turned a wash pink with a red sock?
Type Number 7: the sleeper: I am the Queen of Naps.