My plans for completing my dissertation:
Although my dissertation does not officially start until I begin third year in September, I would definitely like to get a headstart with it to take off some of the pressure during term time. I thought I would share checklist of some of the tasks I will aim to complete over the summer break just in case anyone else wants to start early but isn’t sure where to start.
*A piece of advice I was given during my EQ201 research project is to take notes at every stage of your decision process as it will help with the write up.
*Another suggestion is to buy a folder and create a folder on your device named dissertation to store all the documents in one place and paper sheets in one place to stay organised.
- Firstly go through my EQ201 assignment and make a checklist for my dissertation as there are parallels between the layout/style of dissertation report and the skills learnt in EQ201 and your dissertation.
- Create a mind map of potential dissertation topics, narrowed down mind maps and rough questions.
- Match prospective questions with research methods.
- Make contact with your dissertation supervisor – to discuss initial ideas, question ideas and future plans for the summer.
- Finalise research topic, question, and research method and understand who your target participants will be and how they will be recruited.
- Write up, review with supervisor, and finalise ethical form in preparation for data collection.
- Research around chosen question and subtopics relating to the question – to be used primarily for literature review.
- Research thoroughly into your chosen research method – create a document of research.
- Create data collection tools – e.g. questionnaire, interview questions etc.
- Produce a consent form.
- Contact individuals to see if they would be willing to take part and gain their consent.
- Start the data collection process.
My goal is to complete this list but like everyone I am in need of some time to unwind and have a break over the summer holiday. Also this is only my list and it may not be the correct way or the easiest way to get started with your dissertation, it’s just my thought process! However, I hope this has given you some inspiration and motivation for how to start your dissertation. Goodluck everyone 🙂
Until next time, Kaitlyn x