Coping with Exams Stress
Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog! Term 3 has been quite rough so far and since I took only 1/5 exams I think until the beginning of June I will be extremely full. I love the fact that I took the time to step back and reflect on all of the challenges I am facing for the first time at University, taking final exams at Uni, thus, I decided I would make a quick guide on how to cope with all the stress, bits and pieces of advice that could help you plan better your time for revisioning or visioning for that matter. Yes, it is true, I did not do much work over the Easter holiday as I was in Romania for 5 weeks and had many family gatherings and celebrating Easter earlier, as we had the Orthodox Easter on the 1st of May. This is a short list of the best advice for coping with exam stress:
1. Stop promising, start doing. A clear schedule will help you plan your entire revisioning scheme. Whether it is 2 topics/day or 10/day, just think about your mental capacity and adapt a routine that works best for you and your learning style.
2. Stress is everyone’s first problem when talking about exams. You just have to realise everyone has high-stress levels during this time and it is important to stop panicking and stop spending your energy on useless topics.
3. Don’t leave it all on the day before the exam. Even if you did not do all your readings and homework all year round, I believe the Easter holiday comes with a great advantage. Instead of procrastinating, try using your time effectively. If you do not, you might head to the last minute cramming session the day before the exam.
4. Motivation is so important these days. It seems like you keep forgetting why you started this course, why you like it, why you want to actually graduate. Yes, you are tired, but you need to return to that point a year ago when you wanted so badly to get here, to meet everyone, to pursue your degree. Just remember all that inner strength you built and you will have no problem passing this year.
5. Your first reminder of revisioning and exams are your parents, obviously. They always seem to brag about the fact that they were perfect students back in the day: learning each subject at a time, doing homework, getting straight As and so on. They have no idea whatsoever about the social life you need to maintain, doing laundry, cooking, going to lectures, doing assignments and revisioning on top of all that. They keep on pushing your limits when they forgot that all your health is the most important part of your life.