Choosing the Right University and Course for YOU!
Something I was doing before Corona took over our lives was pushing myself to not let my nerves deter me, whether that was making a spontaneous trip (alone) to the town/ city centre, sitting in the common room an having (lovely) chats with the staff and students in the department, or generally making applications to more opportunities that came my way.
If you know me in person, you know the camera is an enemy of mine. I perform much better in front of a live audience, which I know doesn’t make much sense to most people, but that’s me for you. Since everything is going to be online for until, well… who knows when, and talking to/ through a camera is something we are having to get used to, I thought, “Why not try something new?”. As nerve-wrecking as I find it, no one is going to see me any time soon, so let’s see it as a challenge and use it as another way to push myself way out of my comfort zone. So, this is the result!
This is my first time doing something this, so I know the quality is questionable (I’m clearly no media student!), but I hope that the content itself will be helpful to the prospective students out there. Trying to find the right course and uni in this current situation is a challenge, so here is some advice to get your started.
I have used information and webpages from the Department of Psychology as examples throughout this video. Also, thank you to Michelle and Kate for allowing me to use their profiles for this!
Of course, there are so many other factors you will also want to consider, but this video focuses on academics 🙂.
TIME STAMPS (open up the description box in YouTube to click onto them and they will take you directly to the right point):
Contextual Offers: 1:56
Checking Accreditations: 2:56
Course Content starts at 4:30 (please note that this information changes year on year)
– Module Availability: 5:12
– Key Research Areas: 5:55
– Research of Academics: 7:07
Get in Contact with Students: 11:30
Information about contextual offers:
- UCAS: https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/what-contextual-admissions
- Warwick: https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/contextualoffers/
Get in contact:
- OurWarwick: https://our.warwick.ac.uk/
- Uni Buddy: https://www.ucas.com/chat-to-students (via UCAS). Main website where you can find students from other institutions around the world: https://unibuddy.com/
- Virtual Open Day (happening NOW 6 – 17, July): https://opendays.warwick.ac.uk/home
- Warwick’s Module Catalogue: https://courses.warwick.ac.uk/
- Psychology at Warwick: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/psych/
BPS Accreditation: https://www.bps.org.uk/our-members/accreditation
The following websites can help you filter out which universities offer the course that you would like to go into by region, entry requirements, and type of study:
- UCAS: https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/providers?distanceFromPostcode=&studyYear=2020&sort=MostRelevant
- Complete University Guide: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
If I have missed anything, please let me know!