A Fresh Start at Monash – OurWarwick

A Fresh Start at Monash

Bethany Goodman | Language, Culture, and Communication Contact Bethany

11000 miles, a 26 hour flight, and 1 very heavy suitcase later…I made it to Australia!

For those of you who don’t know, I decided during the Easter break to take on the huge challenge of studying abroad for the year at Monash University in Melbourne. I finished my exams at the end of June and started getting prepared for my huge journey at the beginning of July; suddenly it all seemed very real! So this is just a post to detail my journey for all of you who are thinking about doing a year abroad here at Monash, or even somewhere else! Just so you can have an idea of what to expect along the way.

My flight was booked from London Heathrow and, while I was extremely excited to be finally on my way, I knew that 3×7 hour flights weren’t going to be pleasant in any way. But I was prepared with some music and my laptop full of films, as well as some noise-cancelling headphones which I found were an absolute saviour after 21 hours of hearing a rumbling airplane engine. This was my very first flight alone so I was extremely nervous, but I managed to find some other Warwick students doing the same flight; this put me at ease and I’m still friends with them now – one of them even lives a few doors away from me! I would highly recommend finding a few people to do the flight with, just as a bit of a comfort blanket – changing through 2 airports is extremely daunting so it’s always nice to have people to walk through with and who can look after your bags if you need to quickly pop into a shop.

Despite being an exhausting journey, I have to admit that the air hostesses were incredible and as far as a 26 hour journey goes it couldn’t have been more comfortable. For airplane food, the meals were actually quite nice and we were given snacks the whole journey through. The films were the newest ones out, as well as the TVs having episodes of all my favourite shows (Gilmore Girls, How I Met Your Mother and more). But for as much as I could I tried to sleep according to the time in Australia – it’s a huge thing for your body to adjust to so getting as much sleep as you can on the plane is an absolute lifesaver.

At 5am a day later I arrived at Melbourne Airport where I quickly made my way through customs and found a free transfer to the airport with my friends. We were all exhausted and starting the day at 5am meant we couldn’t get straight into our beds to sleep, but I managed to stay awake the whole day (well…until 8pm!) and bought all my essentials wth the help of a friend who was already settled in. The orientation team at my halls was incredible – they helped out with absolutely everything they could and made everyone feel so welcome during the whole 2 week orientation period.

Next week I’ll detail everything in orientation week that you could be enjoying next year, but so far I’ve had the most incredible time and can’t wait to share it all with you!

Bethany Goodman | Language, Culture, and Communication Contact Bethany

Leave a comment

   or Log in?

Ask a